Monday, November 1, 2010

Menu Planning Continues

This is month number 2.  Decided to do it again.  It worked out fairly well.  Having nearly all ingredients readily at hand was such a time saver.  Having all the meals written out and on the fridge made for a great work sheet for the month.  No wondering what's for dinner tonight.  Check the list.  When the kids would ask what's for dinner I had have them refer to the list.  If I hadn't picked out something I'd have them choose.  Once something was made I found it handy to write the date next to it and cross it out.  This worked out well for leftover questions.  Is this still good?  Check the date next to the recipe.  "Why yes it is still good, but today's the last day for it better eat it."

As the list was getting many crossed out items I found it more handy to highlight them.  I knew what was done and what wasn't at a quick glance.  It turned into a great work sheet.  Some things added.  A thing or 2 not made.  Some meals tweaked a little different, but all in all a big help to my daily cooking duty.  Next month's list will be further down from top of page as the magnetic clip covered a few meals and for some reason it really bothered me. 

We still used the same rules as last month.  One meal veto.  Can't veto the same meal 2 months in a row.  Chicken Curry seems to be my son's least favorite meal.  He vetoed it last month and couldn't this month.  So, he paid his sister $1 dollar to veto it this month.  She took him up on the offer.  Dear Hubby laughingly said, "That's not right!"  It's his favorite meal.  I told him I'd sneak it in some night when both kids are off doing their own thing.  It will be our special "parents only" meal.  No kids allowed.

This month's menu plan as worked on by the whole family is...

Turkey and Trimmings
Hot Turkey Sandwiches
Turkey and Dumplings
Beanpot Pizza (attached)
Beanpot Enchiladas (attached)
*Beef & Barley Soup
*Chinese Simmered Chicken
*Deviled Short Ribs
Burgers & Mac Salad
*Slow Cooker Meatball Subs
*Artichoke, Spinach & Feta Shells
*Bierox Casserole
*DeAnn's Basil Sauce and Meatballs
Steak with *Cheddar Potato slices (hot links)
*Polka Dotted Macaroni and Cheese
Country Fried Steak
Eggplant Parmesan
Nachos w/Refried Crack
*Western Meal In One
*Biram Ruzz
Chicken Delish
*The Best White Chicken Chili
*Hidden Valley Ranch Chicken
Paninis and Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
Tipsy Chicken with rice pilaf
Make your own pizza night
*Cheddar Waffles w/scrambled eggs & bacon

The star before the meal reminds me that I already have the recipe written down in the recipe box.

Here is one of the recipes from this month's plan.  It's been a family favorite for many years.  Please see the notes at the end as I make it slightly different for our tastes.

HIDDEN VALLEY RANCH CHICKEN

1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. corn flake crumbs
3/4 c. Parmesan cheese
1 pkg. of Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing mix (powder)

Combine corn flake crumbs, Parmesan cheese and dressing mix, set aside. Melt butter. Dip chicken in melted butter and then coat chicken with crumb mixture. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Lynne's note:  I did not like the flavor of the corn flake crumbs.  They has a strong distinct flavor of their own.  I use bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, Panko crumbs anything on hand instead.  This way the great flavor of the ranch and Parmesan shines through.  I also use half as much butter.  I brush it on and then roll in dry mixture.   Otherwise... err I never thought I'd hear myself say this ... it becomes too buttery.

No comments: