Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving With All The Trimmings

I've come to realize that "all the trimmings" means something different to everyone.  My daughter asked, "Would it be too weird to have Cheddar Potatoes Slices for Thanksgiving this year?"  My answer, "YES!"  It's going to be mashed potatoes.  What would one put the gravy on?  I, by the way, made the best turkey gravy I've ever made this year.  Then I was watching the Thanksgiving episode of "Mike & Molly," as he described the crispy cheddar cheese on scalloped potatoes for Thanksgiving.  I told my daughter, "Mike's got your back."

My daughter asked why would it be weird.  I said it really wouldn't be weird it just wouldn't be the Thanksgiving I look forward to every year.  I told her when she cooks Thanksgiving dinner she can serve whatever she wants.  I did say keep in mind you don't want a riot on that day, so you might want to have a few traditional foods.

Lynne's Thanksgiving with all the Trimmings
Turkey (big enough for leftovers for everyone)
Dressing
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Jellied Cranberry Sauce
Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Big Green Salad
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
Pecan Tassies

Lynne's note:

Best Turkey Gravy Ever

In the pan under a 25 pound turkey place roughly chopped celery, carrots and onions.  Add one quart of chicken broth.  Bake turkey covered with foil for half of it's baking time.  Remove foil and bake until turkey is done. Strain vegetables out of broth in bottom of turkey pan.  Skim fat off of broth.  Measure broth.  I had 6 cups.  To skillet add 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of flour per cup of broth reserved.  When butter is melted and flour incorporated add turkey broth.  Stir until thickened.  Add garlic powdered and Lawry's Season Salt to taste.

No comments: