Friday, January 27, 2012

Mini Chocolate Donuts

Invited a friend over early Sunday.  She asked, "Will there be coffee?"  I said, "Of course."  Then I got to thinking wouldn't mini donuts be fun.  Ever since I bought my pan from a yard sale a few months ago I've been having fun with it.  This time I made chocolate donuts.  These were made from a mix I got from King Arthur Flour.  I was already placing an order for some bread making items and thought I'd try the mix for fun.  It was VERY good.  Don't know that I'd spend the money to order it again when I can whip up a batch myself using this recipe.


Chocolate Mini Donuts
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup milk
2 T butter, melted
Preheat oven to 325˚F.
Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.  In separate bowl mix eggs, sugar and vanilla until thick. 

Combine milk and butter.  Alternately combine egg mixture with flour mixture and mix until smooth and soft.
Spray pan lightly with cooking oil.  Fill with batter 2/3 full.  Bake 8 minutes.  Cool.  Carefully remove.  Repeat with rest of batter. 

What made these donuts extra delicious was the glaze.  Not your typical powdered sugar and water coating, but a glaze made with real chocolate chips.  It really had a rich chocolate taste to go with the richness of the donuts.

Chocolate Glaze
1/2 cup (3 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) butter
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt the ingredients together over low heat or in the microwave, stirring often. Add extra corn syrup if needed to make a smooth, shiny glaze. Yield: about ½ cup glaze.


OK these were so good I probably would order the mix again all by itself!  And I think what really made them special were the Valentine's Day Sprinkles.

No comments: