Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Proverbial Bucket List

I don't have a bucket list.  I've thought about making one and never really know what to put on it.  I do recognize when I do something that is on my imaginary bucket list.  Then I'll say, "That was on my bucket list, check."  Last Thursday I did something that's been on my "bucket list" for probably 25 years.  First I was too scared to do it.  Then I was too out of shape to do it.  Finally, I made up my mind that I was definitely in shape to do it I just needed to grow a pair and do it.  What was it... ski an intermediate slope.  My daughter and I were just too good to keep skiing the bunny hill.  When the lift operator says, "You again, that was fast."  You know you are where you don't belong.
My daughter and I decided to take the intermediate free group lessons.  Found out the lesson groups were numbered 1-5.  I thought we had to be a 3.  The instructor quizzed us about our skills and said, "You are a number 2." What?!  Oh OK I'll take your word for it.  Found out quickly we were definitely number 2 material.  We learned so much in 2 hours.

First of all the intermediate lift is a lot faster than the beginner lift.  It was almost terrifying the speed at which it went up the hill.  It did, I found out as I got off, slows down for you to get off and then off it goes.  As I skied down and around to our meeting place I psyched myself out.  I saw how steep the hill was and started working out "plan B" in my head instead of paying attention to my skis.  Next thing I knew my tips were crossed and I'm going down.  It was a very soft lazy fall and with the assistance of a kind stranger I was up and back with my group.  My head was back in the game.
When I rented my skis that day there was blue tape on each of them with the word "Courbage" on them.  It was scratch up and first I thought they said "Garage."  As I got my instructions on how to make a proper turn and traverse the hill I looked down at my skis and to me they suddenly said "Courage!"  That lifted my spirits immensely.  It reminded me I did have the tools to ski this hill.  All I needed was practice.  I talked my way all the way down the hill.  "Shins against boots, prepare for turn, COURAGE, lean forward, look forward, COURAGE, hands out front, remember to breath, COURAGE!  It was exhausting and exhilarating.  The instructor said we were using way more muscles and effort, because we are new.  He said with practice and confidence it will get easier.

It was the end of our lessons and we had been skiing for about 3 1/2 hours.  Our plan was to only ski half a day so my daughter could get to her evening class.  I asked my daughter if she wanted to make one more run even though I was exhausted, but she had fallen once on her way down too and had twisted her knee slightly.  She said she'd rather have lunch now.  I secretly thought "THANK GOODNESS!"

Even though I was ready to get off the hill that day.  I'm very excited to start on the intermediate slope and practice my new found courage.

No comments: