Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Last Night's Dinner - Fritata!

It's summer time and the summer squash has come rolling in.  Since I was home alone last night I decided to have a fritata for dinner.  My Grandma introduced me to fritatas my first tip to California when I was 14 years old.  Since it was late in the day when I flew in and she knowing I needed a good dinner she made a fritata.  She was the secretary for a high mucky muck in the California state government.  Can't remember the title off the top of my head.  Anyhow she had a long work day and wanted to make something easy too.  It was very easy....vegetables, eggs and cheese.  It was also very good.

My fritata started off with a dash of olive oil.  I threw in 2 sliced yellow crookneck squash.  Normally, I'd also cut up an onion and mince some garlic.  It was just me and I wanted simple.  I stir fried the squash.  I added garlic powder, onion powder and some Lawry's Season salt.  Then I stirred up two eggs and poured it over the top of the squash right there in the skillet.  I sprinkled some parmesan cheese over the top of it all. While I waited for the egg to set I microwaved some leftover basil sauce I had made the night before with chicken, spinach and feta sausage sliced into it.  I had about 1/2 cup leftover.

The fritata was so thin since it was one serving that I scraped it out of the pan and it looked more like a scramble on the plate.  I didn't care.  I spooned my hot basil sauce over the top and it was a dinner fit for a King.  368 calories.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Most timely post. My granddaughter is visiting me and is not eating meat. Fad or way of life? Time will tell. This will be perfect to cook for us.