Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Beef and Bean Enchiladas Will Make You Cry

DH found this recipe I don't know where about 20 years ago.  It's been a family favorite ever since.

Last night my DD asked to have enchiladas for dinner.  I said sure if you make them.  They really aren't hard to make, but they take a bit of time.

First thing one does with this recipe is chop the onions.

Using the Pampered Chef Food Chopper doesn't seem to help with the onion fumes.  It does chop the onions quickly; therefore, less crying.
OK maybe she was hamming it up a little and she was cracking me up.  It brought back to my attention what can one do to avoid the onion fumes.  I wear contacts and I have zero problem with chopping onions.  Nobody else in my family needs eye correction and has that option.

My mother said that she felt her glasses helped protect her.  I've also read to lean back.  Don't lean over the onions while chopping.  Years ago I even bought the onion goggles for my kids.  What my kids have told me is none of the above have helped them.  They just chop, power through the crying and get on to the cooking.

DD likes to skip the frying of tortillas to save time.  In the end the enchiladas turn out about the same like a casserole.


Beef and Bean Enchiladas

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 med. onion, chopped
1 (1 lb.) can refried beans
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/3 c. taco sauce
1 c. ripe olives, quartered
2 (10 oz.) cans enchilada sauce
Salad oil for frying tortillas
12 corn tortillas
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Crumble ground beef in a frying pan; add onions. Saute until meat is browned and onions are tender. Drain off excess fat. Stir in beans, salt, garlic powder, taco sauce and olives; heat until bubbly. Heat enchilada sauce; pour half the sauce into an ungreased shallow 3 quart baking dish.

In small frying pan, heat salad oil about 1/4" deep. Dip tortillas, individually, in hot oil to soften; drain quickly. Place 1/3 cup beef filling on each tortilla; roll to enclose filling. Place seam side down in baking dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the filled tortillas. Cover with shredded cheese. Bake, uncovered 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

To Serve: Top each serving with sour cream combined with green chili salsa. May garnish with sliced, pitted ripe olives. Serves 4 to 6.

Lynne's note: I have microwaved and warmed tortillas up in the enchilada sauce in an effort to skip frying. Both methods lead to fragile tortillas and frustration. I stick with frying. How often does one have enchiladas? I have found frying them all up and draining them allows them to cool off. Enough so as to not burn my fingers and they stay flexible enough to roll.

Stop it DD you're making me laugh.

No comments: