Wednesday, August 3, 2011

State Fair Frittata

2 years ago DH and walked around the 2009 State Fair by ourselves.  This hadn't happened in about 15 years.  Our teens were off with their friends.  We happened upon a cooking demo that smelled so good before it even began.  We decided to stay and see what they were cooking.  I took notes all along knowing I'd like to try this recipe at home.  They were demonstrating for Del Monte canned foods particularly their canned potatoes.  I've always thought canned potatoes would be terrible.

They said not to worry the recipe would be on their website soon.  I checked their website for 6 months.  As far as I could tell it never arrived.  I was so glad I wrote down the recipe.  Every now and then I can't find it though.  Like tonight I had a mini panic.  I finally found it in my email.  Where the printed copy in my recipe file went I don't know.  I might be in there as I'm not really sure how to file this recipe.... under eggs, pork (for the bacon), potatoes, breakfast, or dinner?

We eat it for dinner.  It's a very easy recipe, but a bit fussy to make.  I discovered that canned potatoes are very good, which was what Del Monte was trying to prove.

State Fair Frittata

1 pound of bacon, diced and cooked until crisp
½ onion, diced
1T bacon fat
8 ounces tomato sauce
1 T cilantro, coarsely chopped
a pinch of oregano
a pinch of marjoram
Salt & Pepper to Taste
2 T bacon fat
1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
2 cans of Del Monte sliced potatoes drained and dried of all water
a pinch of oregano
a pinch of marjoram
Salt & Pepper to Taste
9 eggs
½ cup cream
pinch of salt
Nonstick Cooking Spray
¾ Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
¾ Cup Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
Optional - 3 sliced avocados
Green onions, sliced

Preheat Oven to 500 degrees.

Heat 12 inch nonstick skillet over med. high heat.  Add bacon.  Cook until crisp and drain.  Set aside and reserve fat.

Meanwhile, in smaller skillet prepare sauce by sauteing onion in tablespoon of bacon fat.  Once translucent add tomato sauce, cilantro, pinch of oregano, pinch of marjoram and salt and pepper to taste.  Let simmer on low.

In 12 inch skillet add 2 tablespoons of bacon fat.  Sauté red pepper and green pepper.  After they have sautéed for a few minutes add dried potatoes.  Continue to sauté adding pinch of oregano, pinch of marjoram and salt and pepper to taste.

Beat eggs and cream together, add pinch of salt and whisk again. Set aside and spray rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.  Sprinkle pan with sautéed pepper/potato mixture.  Sprinkle cooked bacon over top.  Pour egg mixture over top.  Top with cheese and place in oven for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted, bubbly and slightly brown. Cut into rectangles, top with tomato sauce, avocados, green onions and serve.

No comments: