Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cranberry Orange Breakfast Barley

This is my favorite breakfast in the whole wide world.  I love barley.  I love cranberries.  AND I love cranberries with orange.  So, this recipe really fit the bill for something I'd love.  I found this recipe in the Raley's magazine  "Something Extra" a few years ago.  Fortunately, the recipe is online for all to enjoy.

This recipe says it will serve 3, but I'd say it will serve more like 5 or 6.  Since I'm the only person in my family who likes it I usually divide it into 4 serving and I eat a serving every day for 4 days.  Every time I do this I think, "I'm going to be sick of this in a day or 2."  Nope I love all for servings and on day 4 it is still delicious.  I probably make this about 3 or 4 times a year.  Once I eat it 4 days in a row I'm good for about 3 months.

Cranberry Orange Breakfast Barley

3 cups water
1 cup barley, rinsed and drained
2 cups orange juice
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3 tbsp. honey
1/4 tsp. Simply Organic Cinnamon

Prep time: 5 minutes, Cook time: 45 minutes

Place water and barley in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining ingredients and continue cooking over low heat, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the barley is thick and creamy. Makes 3 servings.

At this stage I always think it's too watery and cook it a bit longer.  In the end as it cools off that's when the real thickening begins.  As it's stored in the fridge it really becomes thick and delicious.

No comments: